50th Birthday Party Ideas: Venues, Food, Decor & More
The Big 5-0 Coming Up? We Can Help While all birthdays should be celebrated with glee, there is something extra special about #50. Whether you are in charge of planning a spectacular soiree for yourself or you are surprising a loved one for their half-century celebration, if you’re wondering where to celebrate a birthday, RedWater…
The Big 5-0 Coming Up? We Can HelpWhile all birthdays should be celebrated with glee, there is something extra special about #50. Whether you are in charge of planning a spectacular soiree for yourself or you are surprising a loved one for their half-century celebration, if you’re wondering where to celebrate a birthday, RedWater Events can help you plan a 50th birthday bash that is sure to be remembered.
50th Birthday Party VenuesThe space you choose to celebrate in sets the tone for your birthday bash. We offer a stunning range of all-inclusive venues for you and your guests to enjoy.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Venue for Your Party
Your BudgetThe budget for your birthday bash is largely determined by the number of guests that will be in attendance. Once you account for all necessary family and friends, you can decide how much to spend on your venue rental fee, food and beverage, decorations, and any extra goodies, like party favors. At RedWater, there are no surprise fees—only surprise parties, if that’s your thing. Our comprehensive event spaces come with a variety of amenities. For example, our venue rentals include table and chair setups and come equipped with audio/visual equipment—who doesn’t love a heartwarming (and often hilarious) birthday slideshow?
The LocationThink back to your childhood birthday parties—the location made all the difference. Why spend your birthday in your parent’s kitchen when the arcade is available? The ambiance sets the tone for the celebration, and location is just as important now as it was as a kid—find a space that allows your guest of honor to feel truly celebrated, in style. Our venues can be found all over West Michigan, where the views are incredible, making the good times even better. We have many event spaces that would be perfectly suited for a luxurious special event, including:
- Golf View Room at Muskegon Country Club: Great for guests with 50 people or less, this bright, window-filled space allows you to talk and toast while taking in the greenery.
- Lakeshore Ballroom at Muskegon Country Club: This regal room can fit 150 people comfortably, though they can also take advantage of the attached deck, which looks over Lake Muskegon.
- Enclosed Pavilion at Thornapple Pointe Golf Club: For folks seeking an upscale, outdoorsy aesthetic, this window-surrounded, cobblestone-floored space is a wonderful spot to celebrate.
- Oak Leaf Lounge at Thousand Oaks Golf Club: This second-floor event space comes with a full bar, private deck, and cozy fireplace, transforming your birthday party into a relaxing night out amongst the trees.
- Grand Oaks Ballroom at Thousand Oaks Golf Club: If your guest list is looking quite long, and you’re in need of excellent space to spread out and dance, this large, lofty-ceilinged space would be wonderful. With three full bars, a separate coat room, and a private deck with a view of the rolling golf course, this is every 50th birthday party-goer’s dream.
- Shore Room at Watermark Country Club: The tall, curved walls and breezy outdoor patio of this space make it stand out amongst the rest.
- North Lakeshore Ballroom at Watermark Country Club: Another spacious place to celebrate, this ballroom has an outdoor patio, bar, and super tall ceilings to create an open, luxurious feel.
- FireRock Room at StoneWater Country Club: For more intimate gatherings, this stylish space takes the cake (birthday cake, that is). The stone-adorned fireplace is a stunning central feature that will warmly complement the sound of celebratory clinking glasses.
- Diamond Room A at StoneWater Country Club: For a really grand environment, go for one with beautiful chandeliers. The Diamond Room has these, as well as a built-in bar and private patio that is great for photo ops, giving everyone in attendance another reason to smile.
- Macatawa Ballroom at Macatawa Golf Club: The beams of this ballroom supply an elegant, welcoming charm that your guests will love dancing under. This large, bright space has a patio to check out, too.
- West Room at Boatwerks: Looking for a lake view to enjoy at your birthday party? Look no further. Lake Macatawa is one of the best backdrops for a big bash, and there is also an attached courtyard that can be added to this rental to maximize space.
- The Cottage at Ravines Golf Club: There is no space quite as cozy as this pine-surrounded spot—ideal for small to midsize groups.
Size & Layout AccommodationsChoose a venue that is appropriate for however many people you have attending your event, whether 5 or 400. No matter the number of guests you’re inviting, we have stunning spaces for celebrations of all sizes
Food & DrinkWe believe the party planning process should be simple, and the execution, even more so. That’s why we offer an incredible event menu—we take care of the food and beverage, so all you have to do is show up and celebrate.
Audio & Visual CapabilityA birthday party is a celebration of life, a reflection of memories, and a time to make even more. An awesome way to look back at the last 50 years is through photo and video, which is why all of our venues come with hookups for audio and visual equipment. Shed a few tears and share a few laughs as you sit back and celebrate.
Previous ReviewsBefore booking your birthday bash location, check out what past guests have to say about their experience. When a venue has stellar reviews, you can be sure you are making the right decision. Here are a few reviews on our RedWater spaces: Allison D. on Watermark Country Club: ★★★★★ “Watermark blew me away with their professionalism, customer service and general event coordination. I’d recommend anyone hold an event here!” Keri V. on Macatawa Golf Club: ★★★★★ “Had a wonderful experience from start to finish. Fast communication, friendly staff, great service. All details covered and decision making was easy!” Stacy B. on StoneWater Country Club: ★★★★★ “The sales team was wonderful to work with. They returned calls right away, made changes as needed and answered all my questions. The event space is beautiful and everything was set up as requested. The event team were very helpful and friendly. The food was great and the cupcakes were amazing! Highly recommend this location for any event.”
The StaffA space is only as good as the staff that serves it—that’s why we have the best of the best. From the preplanning to the day-of execution, our staff works to ensure your soiree is smooth and stress-free, as a birthday party should be.
RedWater Venues for Birthday PartiesWe offer an extensive variety of event spaces that suit parties of all sizes. Find our spaces all over West Michigan—Muskegon, Plainfield Township, Cascade, Caledonia, Grandville, Grand Rapids South, Holland, downtown Holland, and Saugatuck. While we do not provide the entertainment ourselves (we’ll leave the birthday serenading to the professionals), we certainly encourage you to bring in a live band or DJ, so you can enjoy dancing the night away.
50th Birthday Party Food IdeasWhile the right venue is integral for setting the tone of your event, the next most important component to consider is the food. Our chefs have created a plethora of delicious appetizers, meals, and desserts for all taste buds to enjoy, ensuring your birthday party is not only visually appealing but also very appetizing.
- Taco fiesta bar: You can’t go wrong with these fantastic flavors. This Mexican feast features everything you could want—hard and soft tacos, salsa, sour cream, cheese, and of course, cilantro lime rice. Get some guac and queso to complete your spread, the perfect fuel to dance the evening away.
- Slider bar: Burger fanatics—this one is for you. We have every mouthwatering slider you can imagine—brat, burger, cheeseburger, chicken salad, club, fried chicken, hot dog, Italian sausage, turkey…. Everyone will be talking about this fun food option the next day.
- Sandwich buffet: For afternoon birthdays, a simple & yummy sandwich buffet is a classic option. Pick two of your favorite sandwich or wrap options—turkey, ham, or Italian sandwiches, or club, caesar, veggie, or chicken salad wraps. We serve these with kettle chips & choice of potato salad, pasta salad, fruit salad or garden salad to ensure a filling, balanced meal.
- Pasta bar: A classic that makes everyone excited to dig into! Pick two options—baked ziti with pomodoro & a medley of cheeses with penne, cavatappi primavera, or chicken broccoli alfredo with penne. With caesar salad and garlic bread, this is a complete & delicious birthday party meal everyone will enjoy.
- Dinner buffet: Got a taste for something even more complex? Choose 2 entrees for you and your guests to dig into—pesto chicken, parmesan chicken, bistro steak, pot roast, Mediterranean chicken, salmon, or risotto. A buffet never tasted so good!
- Dessert table: Don’t forget the sweets! This is a birthday, after all. Cakes may be classic, but we have other fun flavors that fit both large and small gatherings—doughnuts, sundae bars, cupcakes, and cookies.
Themes, Favors, and DecorationsNo party is complete without personalized touches that represent the person of the day. We welcome you to bring in your own easily removable decor to set up a space that feels like the 50th birthday party you’ve been dreaming about.
50th Birthday Party ThemesA few themes that can set your party apart from the rest include:
- Decades: Show some love for the year your birthday person was born with fun cutouts for photo ops, fancy candles, or a specific color palette, whether it be groovy, funky, or far out. Bonus points if you ask guests to come in costumes that speak to the decade!
- Hawaiian luau: If the recipient of the celebrations is a jetsetter, consider bringing in elements from their favorite travel spot to West Michigan. Inflatable palm trees and hibiscus flowers make for a tropical theme that sets the party scene. Place hula skirts on chairs so everyone can shake the evening away in style.
- Golden milestone: Turning 50 is a wonderful milestone that certainly calls for the most extravagant of celebrations. A glittery golden theme is elegant and exciting—consider asking guests to dress in black while the person of the hour stands out in a golden outfit only a birthday could warrant.
50th Birthday DecorationsFind decor that speaks to your theme. If you’re doing a music- or decades-themed party, get correlating balloons to tie around the room, letting everyone know exactly what they’re walking into. While our venues are quite grand on their own, personalized birthday banners and a grand photo-op spot (don’t forget the trendy polaroids!) will help make the guest of honor feel extra special. Another way to celebrate each year of life that has been lived is with 50 photos. Place these around the room or put a few on each table, encouraging guests to peruse—these also make for great conversation pieces.
50th Birthday Party FavorsWhile not necessary, interesting and unique party favors will help guests remember what a great time they had. Opt for useful gifts that won’t get tossed in the car to be forgotten forever—think personalized cups, coasters, shot glasses, candles, magnets, or wine stoppers. If you tie in a personal interest of the person being celebrated, it is extra meaningful and appreciated.
50th Birthday GamesGet guests involved in the festivities with a good game. An easy one that gets the crowd going is, “Guess That Song.” Have the DJ or band play a short snippet of a few tunes while everyone writes down their answers. Whoever has the most right at the end wins! Another fun one that involves the birthday honoree is a quiz about their life. Let them ask the questions while everyone else puts their knowledge to the test. Up the ante by gifting the winner a bottle of wine or a gift card. An oldie but a goodie that will bring everyone right back to childhood: musical chairs. Utilize our open dance floor to swiftly circle around the chairs. This gets everyone up and moving after indulging in our yummy cupcakes, and hopefully entices everyone to stay out on the dance floor.
Find Venues to Rent for Birthday PartiesNow that you have an extensive list of 50th birthday ideas, create the party you’ve always envisioned with the help of RedWater events. Reach out to us today to learn more.
Ready to Book?
Reach out for more information on any of our venues!